Belper Heritage Centre

Reflecting the history and cultural past of Belper, The Heritage Centre is located in St Johns Chapel is the oldest building in Belper.

 

This simple stone building, set in a tranquil corner of Belper, dates from about 1250 and was built by William de Ferrers, Earl of Derby. Belper was a village in Duffield Frith, one of many Royal Forests - hunting grounds for the kings of mediaeval England.   For more than seven centuries, St John's Chapel has been the centre of religious and social life, the services varying between Catholic, Anglican and Puritan as monarch, parliament and local magnates have decreed.

 

The Heritage Centre contains an exhibition of artifacts and old photographs of Belper mounted by Belper Historical Society, illustrating aspects of the history of the town. It is well worth a visit to the Chapel, to wander outside or stand quietly in the nave.

 

Address:

Belper Heritage Centre, The Butts, Belper DE56 1HX

Telephone  Enquiries

01773 822116

Email:

admin@belpertowncouncil.gov.uk 

Prices:

Admission: Free of Charge.

Open:

Weekdays 9am - 12.30pm. Saturday  9.30am - 12.00 noon.